Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Simple Prayer for the New Year

The other day when I was helping my Aunt Carmen, I came across this beautiful poem in a frame standing on her bookshelf.  I know I have heard it before, but I read it anew and was struck with the truth of it, and thought it would be a wonderful year end, and new year beginning prayer to meditate on.

"LORD, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred... let me sow love.
Where there is injury... pardon.
Where there is discord... unity.
Where there is doubt... faith.
Where there is error... truth.
Where there is despair... hope.
Where there is sadness... joy.
Where there is darkness... light.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled... as to console.
To be understood... as to understand.
To be loved... as to love.

For
It is in giving... that we receive.
It is in pardoning... that we are pardoned.
It is in dying ... that we are born to eternal life!

St. Francis of Assisi

No comments: