Saturday, December 08, 2012

Spiced Nuts

{So I meant to post this recipe before Thanksgiving, but I had some issues with blogger, and by the time I sorted it out, well as you can see, it is past Thanksgiving.  Hopefully some of you might enjoy making these still; they are delicious!)

Every year before Thanksgiving I find myself in the kitchen making up a recipe (or two or three) of these crunchy, sweet yet spicy nuts.  I thought I would share this family favorite with you all, and who knows maybe it will become a favorite of yours too!
{1} 
Preheat the oven to 300.  
Then grease 2 large edged cookie sheets with shortening or butter (who am I kidding, use butter!!)

{2}
 In a medium bowl measure in a cup of sugar. (the swirly design is optional, but rather fun :)
{3}
Now add 4TB of Cinnamon (also know as a 1/4 cup...) and a 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg. (alright, so the recipe calls for a 1/4 tsp, but as you can see in the picture I splurged with a scant 1 tsp) Set aside.
{4}
Separate 2 eggs putting the whites into a small/medium bowl, and the yolks into a dish to save and use in some other recipe.  Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork.
{5}
 Measure 1 cup of Pecans and 1 cup of Almonds into a large bowl. (I have never tried any other nuts, but feel free to experiment if you so desire)
{6}
Now stir a few nuts into the egg whites, then using a slotted spoon lift them out and dump then into your sugar/spice mixture.  Mix around until the nuts are coated, then scoop them out and place them onto your greased pan.  Repeat until all the nuts are coated and on the pans.
{7}
Bake the spiced nuts for 20 minutes.  
(don't panic if you happen to forget about them and they stay in for..say.. 30-40 mins. while I don't recommend it, because of the low temp. they will dry out rather then burn.  And yes I am speaking from experience :)
Allow the nuts to cool and then serve in a pretty glass dish.

ENJOY!!!

~Chs

No comments: