Monday, July 29, 2013

For When it is Hot....

Of course, I manage to wait to share these recipes until it is chilly and more fall-like than summer, but I am sure it will warm up again, and when it does, I hope someone can enjoy these homemade Popsicle recipes.
The other week when it was so BROILING hot, I decided to come up with some cold, refreshing snacks for the sweltering afternoons.  Here are the results.

Orange Creamsicles

 1 can of frozen Orange Juice concentrate
 2 cans (use the orange juice can to measure) of milk
 1/4-1/2  (I rarely measure, so have no clue, just to taste I guess) of cane sugar
1-2 tsp of Vanilla

Blend all the ingredients in a blender (we have a wonderful Vita mix, but any blender should work) then pour into popsicle molds.   Put them into the freezer right away, if you let them sit the milk solids will separate, leaving you with ice at the tip of your creamsicle.  Let freeze (the best way is to make these in the morning, then they will be ready right when you want them, at the hottest part of the afternoon) and ENJOY!!!


The next recipe I discovered while on a quest to create a fudgesicle.  That and the presence of some ripe avacodos in the house created these rich luscious chocolatey frozen desserts.

Peanut Butter Fudgesicles  (pictured)

 3-4 ripe avacodos
 A large scoop or 2 of Peanut Butter (approximately somewhere between 1/2-1 cup)
The same amount of Coconut oil (again approximately between 1/2-1 cup)
Sweetener of choice, honey, maple syrup (the two I used) or sugar.  (around a 1/2 cup I guess)
 1-2 tsp of Vanilla
Enough milk (cow, goat, coconut whatever you like) to make the blender go.

Warning, this makes a VERY thick pudding consistency so be careful with your blender.   Pour/scoop/splat into your popsicle containers and freeze.  Because of the thickness this does take longer to freeze, and the more coconut oil you use the harder it will be.


The last and simplest of my summer coolers was created with extra yogurt and frozen fruit.

Berry Frozen Yogurt Bars

4-6 cups of Yogurt (depending on how many popsicles you wish to make)
1-2 cups of frozen fruit (strawberry, is the one I did, blueberry or peaches would work to)
maple syrup or honey to taste
 milk, if too thick

Blend, taste, add, blend, taste, then pour into containers and freeze!

What yummy snacks do you all make when it is hot outside??  Please do share!

(My immense gratitude goes to Faith and Josiah who agreed to do a photo shoot with me as long as they got to eat their Peanut butter fudgesicles!)

~Chs

No comments: